This blog will be dedicated to the act of nourishing, derived from the Latin verb nūtrīre. To nourish requires more than just eating nutritious foods. You can nourish yourself by exercising, meditating, reading, fostering meaningful relationships, and supporting others (just to name a few). This blog will include some of my own insights as well as the insight of other authors and visionaries in the health and wellness field.

Feel free to comment on posts and ask any questions. I will do what I can to nourish your wisdom. Be well! –Derek Grabert

Monday, August 12, 2013

I'm Happy for You

My new life ahead is beginning to sink in as I solidified a new home in Philadelphia this past week. Philadelphia’s population of 1.55 million was rather overwhelming, especially when compared to the measly 430,000 inhabitants of my hometown of Colorado Springs. I would be lying if I said that moving to the fifth biggest city in the United States wasn’t scary. However, I’ve realized that a support system is invaluable regardless of how intimidating my surroundings might be. People have always been entering my life even if just for an instant, but the truly special ones seem to nourish my soul.

Personal relationships keep me grounded and help me realize the power of human connection. I have accomplished a lot for myself, but it would not be nearly as special if not for the joy others experience because of my accomplishments. In the last several months I have heard so many people express how happy they are for me. This is a heartwarming and powerful gesture that I want to acknowledge because it promotes the righteousness of humanity. Life can be crazy, it can be hectic, and it can even be cynical at times, but a human’s ability to be happy for another person is truly remarkable.

I look forward to all the new people I will meet in Philadelphia and all those people I will be happy for. This will come quickly for some and patiently for others but the reciprocal nature of happiness will always ring true. 

No comments: